Macadamia Forest Resources
- The suitable geography for macadamia cultivation: Doi Chang is the perfect place for Macadamia agriculture. It has plenty of water because 98% of the forest area has deep and perfect topsoil. Growing macadamia between the coffee trees also gives mutual benefits.
- The suitable climate for macadamia nuts: The sustained temperature of between 10–30 oc all year long gives the perfect climate for macadamia trees to flourish. The better climate is in the winter, with the temperature below 18 oc. Both suitable geography and climate give advantages for macadamia nut agriculture.
- Knowledge and Skills: The Doi Chang Macadamia Nut Cooperative of Chiang Rai is made up of highly skilled people. They have a vast knowledge of proper agricultural techniques necessary to produce the finest product available. So they cooperate and commercially produce high quality macadamia nuts, both for export and use in Thailand.
- The variety development…Our Doi Chang macadamia nuts are developed from the Australian native, but were developed to have superior qualities during growth and for the final product, which yields bigger and tastier nuts.
- The career support for the community: The Doi Chang Macadamia Group of Chiang Rai is a cooperative of the Doi Chang community. The villagers are highly -trained and spend their daily lives with the macadamia and coffee orchards. Therefore, they can take care of and improve the macadamia nuts quality. This gives a sustainable income for the villagers, and will improve the community's standard of living and ecologically oriented business in the future.
Macadamia harvesting and improved techniques
A wide variety of hill tribe people of the Doi Chang community